Being gluten, wheat, barely, rye, oat and sugar and dairy free, I’m often looking for different tastes and textures. Every now and again I really want bread. Not bleached, tasteless cardboard packaged as gluten free, or fancy schmancy rye or spelt breads that I can’t tolerate either. I saw a recipe online for a legume bread recipe and played around with it. And the results weren’t bad for a first timer. I’ve perfected the recipe, and get a better consistency when I leave it in the pan a bit longer to cool.
My second attempt was easier to toast and it froze really well for me to package and take with me on recent travels.
- 3 cups activated black turtle beans
- 1/8 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup chia kombucha - soaked overnight
- 1 cup homemade yoghurt
- 1 tsp cummon seeds
- 1 tsp wild oregano
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Heat oven to 190deg.
- Pulse the beans in nutribullet or blender until smashed up.
- Tip into mixing bowl and add coconut oil, kombucha and yoghurt.
- Sprinkle over dry ingredients and fold together.
- Don't overmix it.
- Cut parchment paper to fit bread tin, pour in and cook for an hour.
- Set on wire rack to cool before cutting.
- Beans and chia are both best when soaked overnight.