To support my compromised immune system, I decided last week to challenge myself with a commitment to eating fermented foods for 100 days. I’ve set up this tag on Instagram #100daysFermentedFoods and would love you to support me there!
- 1 small sweet potato
- 2 small pieces fresh turmeric
- 1 small spanish onion
- 3 sticks cassia or cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon rock salt
- Chop all vegetables and pound together.
- Add salt and cinnamon sticks and pound again for about 5 min until moisture appears.
- Bottle in a wide mouth jar and weigh down with a smaller glass jar filled with water and tightly sealed.
- Tamp it down and cover with a clean cloth and seal with a rubber band.
- don't leave for more than 3 days.
- I added a cabbage leaf to the top of the ferment and put my smaller glass jar on top of that as and extra 'lid' of sorts.
- DEFINITELY don't leave for more than 72 hours in the tropics. Just taste a little each day as your ferment might be ready within 24 - 48 hours.
And here it is after 48 hours on the bench and 24 hours in the fridge, served up with a sprinkle of sprouted quinoa for my mid morning snack.